Sue is our writer this week.
She shares her reflections on her 2018 Word of the Year- Dance.
I’m sitting here in my dad’s room listening to him snore and the rhythmic pumping of the oxygen machine.
As the memories begin to emerge, I recall how my dad was, back in the day, a gifted ball room dancer.
I find myself grappling with the reality that he may be dancing a very different dance in the near future, and reflecting on the brevity and the fragility of life.
Nine days ago, my dad was hanging out with us watching the Superbowl. Today we are talking with hospice about next steps to deal with the pneumonia they suspect he has again.
I’m holding my agenda loosely these days. I’m learning once again that there are so many ways to dance. This dance of life is unpredictable. I’m thankful I’m not in the lead and that I can trust ‘the Lord of the dance’.
Praying, friends, that your word will bring you strength and comfort.
Last Monday wasn't my best day.
It began in fine fashion. Really it did. I had some extended time and was able to work in my art journal. This is something I try to do every day, even if it's just for a few minutes.
Unfortunately, even though the time in the studio was sweet, it seemed like some bad neighbors in my mind came out to play and didn't want to go home.
It didn't help that I was tired, or that someone tried to use my credit card to shop extravagantly.
It didn't help that I have a nasty habit of pushing myself and not stopping when I am tired.
The best part?
There is a page I can look back on during the week and recall the sweet spots.
Such as texting a couple of friends and being honest.
Or the fact that I had my pajamas on by 7:15, my body in bed by 8:30 and the lights out by 9:00.
Remembering at the end of the night when my husband said, "We made it!!"
Even though I recall the worst parts of this day when I see this page, the good yells out loud and clear.
How about you, my friends?
Do you journal or do any art journaling?
Here's to a better day and remembering the sweet spots.
We are coming quickly to the end of January-how did that even happen???
If we did make New Years resolutions, (I didn’t) chances are they are they already have been thrown out the window.
BUT wait—There’s more!!
If you haven’t chosen a word of the year (WOTY) it’s not too late!
You may be asking, where do I begin?
There’s really not one right way to pick a word—Here are some of the things that we have found helpful in choosing our words over the years.
Ask yourself these questions:
1. Envision yourself at the end of the year looking back. You review your year and see yourself living intentionally in alignment with your values and best self. How were you being last year? Who was around you? How were you living life? What activities were you involved in as you look back at 2018?
2. For me (Sue) as I begin to ponder my word, I pray. I get quiet. I listen. I ask questions. I write down my impressions, even if I’m not always sure if they are from me or from God. I first write without editing or evaluating. I evaluate later.
3. Lynn often picks words that scare or challenge her—words like ‘surrender’ or ‘beloved’, because she knows it will stretch her and take her out of her comfort zone. Throughout the year she began to explore and embody what it looked like to live from these postures.
4. Dictionaries help—As I narrow down my word, I look them in various dictionaries. The definitions give ‘flavor’ and intentionality to a word. It helps us expand and embrace what it might mean for us.
5. Talk about possibilities with someone. As you are narrowing down your choice of a word. Talk about it with people you trust – bounce it off them. Get their feedback. Sometimes just talking out loud helps narrow down your choice.
6. Sit with it for a while. I try on words like outfits. Does it fit? Is it comfortable? Sometimes this takes time and it can be helpful to let them marinate inside your heart. This year my word is dance. It’s a much different type of word for me. It involves worship, following the Spirit’s leading. It involves different moods, rhythms, cultures and styles for various situations. It involves celebration. It’s been a perfect word for me this year, but it helped to ‘sit’ with it in order to know it was the right fit.
Choose one word.
For those of us who struggle with indecisiveness, this can be difficult. But I’d encourage you to take the plunge… even I you don’t feel ready.
The first year I chose a word… I wasn’t fully sure it was the best one for me. But it got me started. It’s been said that It’s easier to steer a moving ship than one that is not moving!
We can always make course corrections along the way.
So-- jump in with us and play for a bit.
Choose a WOTY!
Sue and I (Lynn) are in high gear with our Word of the Year workshops.
We are restocking supplies, Brenna is baking treats and we love every minute!
We are having a blast. There have been so many amazing women (and men!) to come through the Summit Art Studio. Truly, it is a dream come true.
The exciting news is (like life hasn't been exciting enough)
Sue has been interviewed about heART coaching!!!
She met with Beckie Lindsey, who writes for the digital magazine, SoCal Christian Voice. Sue was able to tell Beckie all about our workshops and the process behind creating unique art for your word.
SO C OOL.
To read the article and see more of the magazine, head to
Then, head over to the www.myheartcoaching.com/register.html page and sign up for your class....cause they are going fast!!!
Leave us a comment or email us if you have a group you would like to put together-we will put the coffee on for you and your friends at the Art Studio.
It's time, it's time!!!!
The Art Studio at Summit House is ready for you.
It has been three years in the making, and we couldn't be more excited to host our
Word Of The Year workshops here.
We thought last year would be our grand opening, but I guess you really need things like running water and electricity to host workshops.
Funny how that works....
And, yes. Believe your contractor when he says to add time to the remodeling calendar.
He is a very wise person.
This year, we are excited to show you what you will be creating.
And, YES. You can do it!!!
No art experience necessary...we promise.
There will be supplies, snacks and coffee. ( I know, right? By now you can't wait to sign up)
We will help you discover what your word for 2018 will be.
Then we will walk you through each step of creating your own canvas like the one here.
What are you waiting for??? Cause we sure can't wait to see you !
Grab a friend or four and head over to our registration page:
Here you will find everything you need to pick out what date and time you want to join us, and register for your spot.
See you soon!!!